A few of these came out prior to 2009 but I read them this year so they are on the list.
1. WILLOW by Julia Hoban This was my favorite book this year. A beautifully written story about a girl trying to cope with grief and guilt, who ultimately finds self acceptance and love. It's a very powerful and uplifting story.
2. WICKED GAME by Jeri Smith-Ready Vampires, rock & roll, action packed, sexy, funny! What's not to love?? A great twist on the UF, vampire genre. I can't even remember how many times I've read this book!
3. ASPECT OF CROW TRILIOGY by Jeri Smith-Ready The most original series I've read in a long time. This series has it all - romance, heroes, villains, battles, parallels to religion, politics. I was on an emotional roller coaster for three days!
4. BUTTERFLY TATTOO by Deidra Knight This book took me by surprise. Story of people overcoming fear, loss and guilt to find love and become a family. A twist on the traditional love story. These characters stayed with me for a long time after I finished the book.
5. CATCHING FIRE by Suzzane Collins The second book in the Hunger Games trilogy. One of the few sequels that stands up to the first book.
6. START ME UP by Victoria Dahl Sexy with a little bit of a mystery and lots of funny!
7. MERLE'S DOOR LESSONS FROM A FREE THINKING DOG by Ted Kerasote Yes, it's funny like Marley and Me, but it's so much more than just a compilation of funny dog stories. It's about a true relationship between man and dog formed out of respect.
8. THE OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA by Michael Pollan Do you eat? Then read this book.
9. VISION IN WHITE by Nora Roberts Romance with lots of laughs.
10. GOING TOO FAR by Jennifer Echols YA books really hit their stride this year and this book is one of the reasons why. The YA books out now have great writing, believable characters that you can relate to and don't rely on many of the gimmicks that a lot of the adult books do these days.
I read over 100 books this year so it was hard to narrow it down to just 10......so here are a few more that I loved but there just wasn't room:
The Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost
Playing With Fire by Gena Showalter
If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Ballads of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuehnert
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
The Choice by Nicholas Sparks
The Morningstar Strain Series by Z.A. Recht
One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer by Nathaniel C. Fick